Broken Bone in Need:



Today I went for a walk in the back lanes of Boudhanath hoping to film women winnowing. I had barely turned off from the main road when there was some commotion ahead of me. As I approached the group of people a young man asked for help.

“What is the problem?” I asked. “This boy has a paralised arm”, he said. I took a closer look at the scruffy kid that was cornered by the crowd. People grabbed his arm to show me. He screamed. The filth on his face could not hide his agony. One look at his elbow was enough for me and my little medical knowledge to diagnose a badly broken bone near his elbow. The lower arm just dangled and the broken bone was almost poking through his bruised skin. Not a happy sight. The accident had happened 3 hours earlier…

I had to raise my voice to stop the people around him from touching him. They had no idea what was wrong with him and that their handling was causing more pain and could worsen the injury. I managed to explain what was wrong and urged them to take the boy immediately to a hospital.

Lack of money was the real problem it seemed, could I help? I only had little money on me, and I am reluctant to give money without knowing how sincere the need is. I offered to take the boy to a clinic and take it from there. His parents were identified, together we walked to the main road. They wanted to carry and hold the boy. Thank God they listened and let the boy walk himself, which caused him the least amount of pain. I have never seen such a tough kid, he looked distressed and dazed, but not a tear.

We got into a crowded shared taxi, the huge potholes in the road caused more agony for the kid, but there was no other option. I raised him onto my lap so he dangling arm would not hit the seat.

He was straight away looked at in the emergency room. X-rays confirmed what I feared. His bone was fully broken and displaced so badly that he will need an operation which will cost 13,000 rupees, about 150 euros/NZ$290 (4-6 months of salary). I paid for the x-rays and gave the boy some Reiki, hoping it would ease the swelling and thus the pain a little. He was given a half cast for the time being and kept in hospital for observation till the operation this Friday.

I often question the benefit of giving money to beggars or poor people, as this is only temporary relief, and does not much for sustained improvements. I do give my spare change to people with disabilities as there is no social welfare here. A little goes a long way. Education would go much further as this case of ignorance demonstrates.

Today I did give money as it was an emergency. I would have given more if I had it on me, but I didn’t. Anyway, I would like to check first with the doctor to see how much the family can help themselves and how much discount the hospital can afford. I intend to do that tomorrow.

If any one of you (in Holland or New Zealand) feel like helping out financially, let me know immediately. Feel free to pledge a contribution (by email at: marcel[dot]baaijens[at]gmail[dot]com). I will match it dollar for dollar. Once I know if it is really needed I will call on your pledge (money can be deposited into my New Zealand or Dutch bank account). I will keep you informed.


No comments: