Smoothing the Way


The apartment building where I live at the moment.

The road to the stupa from my residence is a rocky one. 4-wheel drive territory really. Probably washed out by monsoon rains. The holes so big that sandbags now smooth the way. I walk that road daily, lifting my trousers at times keep them dry, leaping over pools trying not to slip in the mud, closing my nose as I pass the open air butchers, saying hello to the man who always smiles at me, event hough I never bought something in his shop, buying apple pie and brown bread at the non-for-profit bakery that supports a rural school, looking worried at the building site where bricks are used to support a concrete building that will not have a chance of surviving an earthquake, listening to chanting as I pass the Tibetan monasteries, feasting my eyes on the stunning Tibetan brocades in the shops, stopping at the hairdresser for a shave, and having lunch at gthe Double Dorjee restaurant where they serve the best momo's. Around the last corner the mighty stupa rises in front of you as you enter the circular square.


Phulbari Road, Boudhanath.

It's not a perfect road at all, but it's full of life almost a complete micro cosmos. So much to see, smell and hear all in a mere 10 minute walk. I never get bored walking here, I never walk on 'automatic pilot', you can't as you would sprain your ankle or fall with your face in a mud pool. This road forces you to be aware and remain aware. Not a bad way to go through life.


Early morning offerings at the Stupa.

No comments: