Legacy of a French Stowaway

Suzanne Aubert, photo courtesey of the Sisters of Compassion.



Suzanne Aubert, born in 1835 in France, died 1926 in New Zealand. Left France against the will of parents and clergy, but with an iron will of her own. When she died, her funeral was the biggest ever seen ‘Down Under’! Why?


She was quite a remarkable woman who was a pioneer with a Great Spirit and strong faith. She started the catholic order of the Sisters of Compassion, who still exist today. In Wellington they established the Compassion Centre, which houses the well known, more than a century old 'Soup Kitchen'. For the past 5 years it also housed the Studio-Gallery of Art Compass, a charitable trust I established to support talented artists with intellectual disabilities. Today was my last day at the centre.

Suzanne Aubert chose and created a different life for herself without the permission, support or encouragement from her family or community. She moved as a single woman to a foreign country in an era where such a choice would be frowned upon. I am an immigrant myself but a male who moved to New Zealand under very favourable circumstances compared to hers. I had a vision that became Art Compass, but I would never have succeeded had it not been for the support from the Sisters of Compassion who are continuing the legacy of Suzanne Aubert.

Where does one begin to express the gratitude for the various forms of your generous support that Art Compass and myself received from the sisters? It has been such a privilege to be part of the Compassion Centre, it’s community and it’s mission. Little did I know about the work and philosophies of Suzanne Aubert. I could not have wished for a better and more wonderful and appropriate place to work on my vision.

Suzanne Aubert had a disability herself. Her philosophy about how to provide and support people with disabilities echoed mine; only she was 100 years ahead of me. Her legacy has touched my life, my work, and through the work of Art Compass so many more.

It is time for me to move on and I am looking forward to opportunities and challenges that lie ahead, but I leave Art Compass and the Compassion Centre with great sadness.

The faith, dedication, openness, kindness, inclusiveness and compassion of the sisters are inspirational to say the least, and will be an encouragement for the rest of my life to remain mindful and aspire to integrate such qualities in my life.

1 comment:

Annie said...

What a lovely tribute. You didn't focus on YOU as so many would do. I see your contribution and compassion here.