Back on Track

Digital image: forest in Hungary

Walked about 14km through hills on the Hungarian side today with Tomi and Gyuri from Sturovo and some of their Hungarian friends. A great walk scrambling upstream through a narrow gorge next to small waterfalls and sliding on muddy slopes, eventually reaching a hilltop at 700m altitude. Really enjoyed the great company, being outside and walking again. I think I got addicted to walking after El Camino and have missed it. Weather is more like a New Zealand winter, very mild, most days 10c or even more, but that will change next week when some colder weather and snow is forecast. The big storm that plagued Western Europe missed my area.

I have recovered from my flu and the internet connection has finally been permanently fixed with a new router instead of a modem. The connection problem would not go away, but no-one knew what to do about it. After talking to three companies (Tcom, the modem manufracturer and a Mac store) I learned what solution to suggest.

I am flat out now, busy editing video, running a 'studio' weekdays between 3-5 for kids from across the road, which I enjoy very much and they do too. (See the bridgeguard7 blog for images). I am using my art facilitation skills to challenge their set minds and mindsets about creativity and their creative abilities. I get them to make some art (they all draw 3 blue clouds and a yellow sun in the left hand top corner), then I scan it into the computer and in a collaborative process we play with their work. This process will be become the centre piece for my final exhibition here just before I leave, hoping to challenge local mind set about these marginalised kids. It is a bit like doing Art Compass work again, not what I had intended to do here, but it is giving me great joy actually and I saw/felt the need for it. The kids take to it like ducks to water.

On Friday 9th February there will be an exhibition opening here of digital stills from my video's. I have been printing series of 7 images. (I am the 7th Bridge Guard Resident and report weekly (7 days/week) about this place on the bridge blog. I hope to have two video's ready for screening during the opening as well, a small 5 minute video called 'Holy Water' about people collecting water in Lourdes and a longer one, still in progress, about street street musicians in Vienna called 'Searching for Silent Night'.

I am really enjoying my time here and feel that projects are starting to eventuate after a slow start. I am in good spirits even though I sleep lousy, no idea why, very restless body, maybe I need to do more exercise and tire my body out a bit. I feel I have surrendered to being on this journey, feel more relaxed, happy and very excited about what will come after my residency (starting to dream and plan).

I have no intention yet to return to New Zealand, have filming and editing to do in many places, places, cultures and adventures to experience... and a life to enjoy. When I cycle or walk through town I catch myself singing, every time, something I had lost a bit in New Zealand. Locals look funny at me sometimes (I never see or hear any of them singing), but I don't care.

I had a ball at the annual local ball last weekend, and realised that I miss opportunities to dance. The music was... well eh, no better say nothing, but it was great to see locals enjoying themselves for a change. I thoroughly enjoyed joining in. Had quietly hoped there would be some traditional dance and music culture here, but there is none, so time to create it myself. I decided to use another old skill: teaching folk dancing. I will organise one or more evenings here of teaching and dancing using my large living room that has an excellent dance floor, as a party room. This sleepy and depressed town can do with a bit of umpf, well at least I do , I want to celebrate life and anyone interested can join me in the fun. Hoping to get some music from friends in The Netherlands as mine is in storage in New Zealand. Art and dance have always served me as an excellent bridge to cross cultural and language boundaries, and that is beginning to happen here too (much easier and more effective than trying to learn Hungarian).

Digital image: the slow local bus that took us back to Esztergom after the walk. It looks fast coz' I wanted it to be fast. Time to get going... got things to do...

PS voor Rob Van Boxtel: I do not have your email.

No comments: