Queer in Small Town Slovakia


Despite the presence of a shops called 'Trendy', 'Sissy' and a bright pink shop called 'Dorothy' there are no signs of gay/queer life in Sturovo. Applying the statistical 10% average to the population of about 15,000, there should be at least a few. No visible presence generally means that being gay and out is not so cool and not regarded as safe by those who are.


When gossip spread the status of my sexual orientation beyond the small circle of people I trusted I felt exposed and vulnerable. Worst of all I realised that my work with the children was potentially placed in jeopardy. I reacted defensively by being extra careful with what I said or did. It felt unpleasant though like an ill fitting armor. Needless to say I was totally surprised to finally meet another gay man after 6 months of queer isolation.


The lack of a common language made connecting with people generally very difficult. Realising how rare our chance meeting was and how little time there was left to establish a connection, I had to bypass the habitual chatting and engagement of the mind to become acquainted. I took a risk, dropped all armor (ahhh), surrendered and engaged the heart to connect with this man. With my armor gone, I felt light, connected and whole again. Being able to give free expression to an integral part of one's being is vital for well-being, for being well. Our meeting was a wonderful opportunity to heal the bruising caused by the armor.



No comments: