Catch-up Syria-Orkney part 1

It has been a while since I have published anything on this blog and not without reason. It is time to do a catch-up. I choose to do that through a series of images which hopefully will speak to me and allow me process and understand the experiences of recent weeks.

It has been a challenging and confusing time, like this bit of knotted rope. I haven't quite understood the lessons contained in it. Once I do I expect to be ready to continue my journey without the confusing baggage of recent weeks.

Image: Abandoned rope in the harbour of St. Margaret's Hope, Orkney Islands, Scotland.

With the images I intend to connect Syria, from where I last published, with Orkney, Scotland, the place I am now. It was a journey that was neither planned nor anticipated, it kind of 'just' happened, and of course I allowed it to happen. I am still kind of surprised about how I got here.

Image: broken stone in the Syrian Desert.

This stone serves as a fitting metaphor for the period of my journey that I will document in the following catch-up series. It was a challenging period that raised many questions and created many doubts.

Is the fact that this structural stone is broken a bad thing or a good thing? Is it less beautiful or more beautiful as a result? Should this stone be fixed, should such a thing be possible or is there nothing to fix? Interesting questions to which I know the 'correct' answer, yet I am not quite ready to fully accept the answer at all levels. So I note and acknowledge the resistance and choose to spend more time with the 'broken stone'.

Image: Boat in the harbour of St. Margaret's Hope, Orkney Islands, Scotland.

It is funny how people and objects can become messengers and signposts along a journey, such as this stranded boat in the harbour during low-tide called KIA-ORA, which is Maori (the native language of New Zealand) for 'hello/welcome'. I have felt stranded for a while in my journey, yet the flow of life has carried me safely to this harbour, where, with the tide being out, I have no other option but wait for the carrier of life to return and enable me to continue my journey. Of course being stuck in a harbour is as much part of the journey as any 'sailing' on currents that circle the globe. I will use this time to reflect and digest. Hehe!, interesting that the word 'digest' popped in my head as it high time to get my digestive system back into shape with a healthy diet after too much food that clogs my system (wheat, gluten) or throws my sugar levels out of balance (cookies, yeast, alcohol and chocolate, -lip!).

I have received a very warm KIA-ORA indeed from the locals I have met so far. I am very happy to be 'stranded' in this outpost of Europe, a tiny island north of Scotland. It is very peaceful here. All I hear are birds, the wind, the sea and sheep. I am looking after a mansion with 27 rooms, 2 dogs, a cat and 5 chickens for the next three weeks, so 'shipwrecked' in full comfort.

No comments: